Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Back in the swing

School began over a week ago and I was a bit consumed with the holidays, school prep, and students back on campus to finish my newsletter, which is still beckoning me, so I will briefly update the blog for the few who read.

Christmas was quite a treasure as I spent the Eve and Day with a family who has adopted me as an aunt. 3 of their 4 children are in our elementary school (1 in my class) the whole family has become a treasure and a huge source of laughter. They are often my breath of fresh air.

With the arrival of students back on campus I was excited to continue the journey we began last term. Learning in the 2nd grade classroom, wrestling with life issues in the junior high and high school girls dorms, growing in my understanding of culture and life here in Kenya through relationships in the community.

New additions to my life in 2009: 2 new 2nd grade boys in class, coaching junior high field hockey, painted walls in my house, curtains coming soon, running again as the broken foot has healed, and a deeply rooted appreciation for the people surrounding me.

2 comments:

Thomas and Lisa said...

It is always good to hear what is happening with you in "the dust of Africa"...know you are in our thoughts and prayers!

Juliann said...

I miss you and think of you often!